Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Collection of Sharings

Headlines: This morning’s news came with bold headlines, “Two U.S. Soldiers Killed in Iraq,” and I couldn’t help the breath I held as I read. Friday’s near miss of rocket fire on base where Tommi serves has so increased my awareness of the possibility that … that I might already have had my last touch of her, but it wasn’t Tommi, and I felt myself hauntingly translated into Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery for the relief I felt in knowing it wasn’t her, it wasn’t Tommi that had died. Someone had died, but it wasn’t Tommi. Two more U.S. soldiers were killed in Iraq today. I am remembering their mothers and fathers tonight.

War Games: The Air Force is calling for 15 more flight crews to put the newest of spy planes in the air over strategic sites in Iraq and Afghanistan. The fascinating part of the story is that the pilots will fly the planes from a base in Nevada. Go here for a short but interesting read on the new players in 21st century war games.

Roses: And all that being said … a mid-morning knock on the door left me thinking the postman had come with a package for which I would have to sign. I was bothered by the interruption – too many pages demanded reading before a 1:30 class. Armed with impatience, I grudgingly opened the door and was greeted with a dozen vased roses “fresh from Iraq.” How wonderful is that?! How lucky am I to know love like this on the planet? You are joy to me, Tommi. Be safe. Come home. I will be here.


1 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Flowers from Iraq!! That is incredible. It's amazing what the internet allows us to accomplish, from areas so far away. I'm traveling to S. Africa this summer, and I'm wondering what sorts of culture shocks I'm in for (if any).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home