Sunday, March 27, 2005

She Was Still There

I had only just reconnected to the digital network last Wednesday when the Yahoo “doorbell” rang to let me know that Tommi had logged on. The message window opened with hungry and excited questions “Are you there?” and “Is that you?” and “Where have you been?” I was so good to see her, to hear her voice again as words on a screen gave sound to the image of her in my head. I always miss her, but that particular moment made my distance from her more evident at the same time it overwhelmed me with emotion for knowing once again that she was still safe.

It was a time of keyboard catching up, a fast exchange of one-liners to tell whole stories of episodes come and gone with the two weeks of computer “disconnect” brought on by digital down-time. “There was this guy …” and “You’ll never believe was the commander said …” and “Oh, yeah, I got news from …” And then, without sign of a break in the flow, the words “Big guns today … mortar fired … close … real close … made me wonder if I’d make it.” And I took my breath and calculated next questions, asking only the obvious, needing only those answers that were easy to give. It was enough that she was still there. And the subject soon changed … and changed again …“I got a package from …” And she was still there

A New York Times story the same day reported 80 insurgents killed in a U.S. backed raid by Iraqi forces on the largest guerrilla training camp for anti-government fighters yet discovered. Col. Robert Potter, spokesman for the American command in Baghdad characterized the firefight as “one of the largest such engagements” yet. The Times reported the camp to be located northwest of Baghdad. But the day had passed, and Tommi was still there.

Attached image: A View From the Gate



1 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

this is a very poetic piece, Mary. Almost transcendentalist (did I spell that properly?). Just think, another five weeks and then we can take a breath. wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home