Monday, March 14, 2005

Forgetting a War

I haven’t talked to Tommi for several days now, though we manage to pass IM greetings in moments we steal from busy schedules, each on her own side of the planet. This blog serves to house responsive reflections between us, and it distressed me to read comments recently posted by Tommi reporting a challenge received from peers questioning her worth in friendship. I might otherwise have dismissed such a difficulty as common to workplace negotiations; under current circumstances, however, it became a troubling concern and preoccupation – but only for time before my thoughts returned to my own day, my own workplace, and the difficult demands of negotiating my own challenges.

It bothers me to find that Tommi can fade from my thoughts just like the war in which she is ordered to participate. I drilled myself last November in anticipation of this experience, “practicing” considerations of the everydayness that would be and now is the normal through which I’m passing, and it still doesn’t feel at all right now that I’m here. I ought to be praying, for example, but the truth is I forget to pray – I can forget entirely that Tommi is even in Iraq, that there’s a war going on at all, and that there are people dying in a fight for something – freedom …though the word is far too easily said without a responsible interrogation of what that means and from whose point of view the value is assessed.

I’m on my way home from school as I write this piece – a week of spring break in Minnesota. James is driving; Abe and Jen have supper waiting, and Brad has been cleaning all day in anticipation of our arrival. I’ll have coffee with friends this week, take in a yoga session, get my hair done, my teeth cleaned, and catch up on reading that still needs doing before classes resume in a week. I’ll think of Tommi, and people I’ll see for the first time in a while will make conversation with questions about how she’s doing over there. They’ll ask for her address with intentions of writing, but, like mine, their days will fill with more immediate engagements … not more important – no, just more immediate.

I wonder if it’s easier to pay billions and billions of dollars for a war that is this easy to forget? The truth is that I’m more aware of the $2.17 a gallon I just paid for gas than I am of whether or not (or how many more) suicide bombs went off in Baghdad today. And strange as it is to make a war disappear, it’s somehow worse – wrong, I think – to feel Tommi “disappear” in exchange for a day full of hours themselves full of casual chatter, and laughter, and an occasional glass of wine with friends.

In fact, I am fundamentally opposed to the U.S. occupation of Iraq in which our country is currently engaged, but I know, too, there’s no easy way out of that picture now, however moral (or not) the initial prompt for invasion was. I wonder what “bringing home the troops” will look like this time? And I wonder if a war where there are heroes serving is easier to forget than a war where the villains are the men and women “we” sent to fight it. I’m proud of Tommi for the work she’s doing on duty in Iraq; I’m proud of the men and women with whom she serves, but all the yellow ribbons fade into easy icons as the days pass by. And even when we remember to remember the troops we’re sending (and re-sending) to Iraq, I wonder if that’s enough. What does it mean to remember why we sent them there in the first place, and can we remember now what we thought then about when they would come home?



4 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Easy icons" like those that fly by on the backflap of 75% of the pickup trucks here. I think momentarily "forgetting" is a coping mechanism, not something to feel guilt or abase yourself for. The stress you must be experiencing knowing that your child is an ocean away from you must be terrifying. I'm sitting here looking at my amber alert ticker. A 16 year old girl is missing in Arkansas. What can I do about that? How could I help? This daughter is out of her mother's line of vision. I'm not trying to equate Tammi's absence with this girl's absence; I'm just trying to assess what kind of emotional damage a mother undergoes when her daughter is not in her line of vision. How much fear, guilt, self-interrogation, terror a good mother must endure when her daughter is endangered in any shape or form. I just wish there was something I could do to help. You, Mary, are helping. You are consistently vocalizing Tammi's situation and conversing with her through this medium and reaching eyes. Nothing and no one will be forgotten, as long as writers like you are documenting your connection to this war.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a phenomenon I've noticed: no one speaks in terms of the the world we will bestow upon our grandchildren, or their children. Most often discussions of generational responsibility are limited to our sons and daughters, and often limited to our own lifetimes (e.g. how will I assure a comfortable old age?)

Where then exists the temporal center of our responsibility to family? Since that will be the point we assign the highest value. The point which will recieve the most benefit, beyond which we feel a decreasing sense of responsibility: benefit recieved, cost deferred.

This mode of thought inundates our life, and is promoted non-stop through every corporate media outlet. When we wonder at how we can forget the most treasured gifts in our lives, we should recognize that we are directed by media outlets and our government that the appropriate response to tradgedy is to 'move on and shop'. Not to put shopping down, because shopping can be therapeutic. But, when are we ever directed to mourn, contemplate and learn?

Forgetting is not a responsible way to deal with trauma and difficult situations. But are we completely to blame, when we are captive in an ongoing carnaval designed to distract? It's a wonder we can even think at all.

Hang in there, you give me hope.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mom:

The blog remembers. This real estate in the bloggosphere holds remembrance for you; that's what it's for. You are the sentinel; you scout the distance from your tower, preparing for the dark times when routine clouds recollection. You record your findings here, and they hold a place for me.

You are my sentinel, and I am yours. We are portals at two ends of a void we will soon close. And I shout through the distance: "Keep burning the torch! Your vigilance keeps me well!"

Your Sentinel,
Tommi

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the 'amen' for anonymous.

I truly believe that you are being distracted, Mary, not forgetting. I know you and I know Tommi ... neither of you are forgettable or inclined to forget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home