Sunday, February 20, 2005

All the Way From Iraq

On Friday, February 18, I celebrated my 51st birthday. At 10:30 that morning flowers arrived "all the way from Iraq" (via the local FTD florist, Scott). An amazing daughter? Oh, yes, but there's more than a birthday wish in the gesture. Tommi is telling me what she knows: no adventure lived is easy and the days faced "stateside" present their own collection of challenges no less threatening for the way they can feel than those she faces on duty in Iraq. "Keep growing," she says. "I've got your back." Together is good stuff.

The card reads:

"I am with you always, my dear Mother! I love you tons. Here's a birthday wish all the way from Iraq. Your friend and daughter ... always. -Tommi"

Roses from Iraq

Thank you, Tommi. ... in so many ways. -mom

3 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It must be such an incredible thing for mother and daughter to share such a close relationship and to NOT take it for granted (yeah yeah yeah, split infinitive. bite me). I was never very close to my mother; she didn't believe that mother and daughter should be "friends." But she could never answer when I asked, "why not?" Most likely it has to do with the fact that I was born with her first husband, whom she didn't like very much. And then through the years after I was 12 and on, she had a few more with my stepfather. Great kids, but I've always existed on the fringes. It's so enriching reading these blog entries, Mary, which convey that this type of relationship indeed does exist. Thanks :o)

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOMAN!!

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touching.
Inspiring.

Beautiful women ... Tommi & Mary.

May God hold you both in his hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home