Saturday, August 13, 2005

There Is Only One Tommi

I have grown to appreciate the insight of Elaine at Kalilily Time: she seems so rarely to drop a beat or miss a thread in writing the human fabric. I rest when I read there, and I find a friend and mentor in a woman whom I've never met.

Elaine is overseeing her mother's journey into and through the challenges of Alzheimer’s and the wearing-thin of a body. Courageous women both, they model the determination, patience, and compassion necessary to negotiate such a passage. I am instructed and often encouraged in facing my own difficulties.

Today I was reading at Kalilily Time - reading about a single meteor/wishing star, a sisterhood of hummingbirds, and a one-in-a-million blueberry pie made with berries picked by a one-and-only grandson. I was drifting with the poetry of the words and didn't notice the next thought coming:

Sometimes, when you only have one, and he is sent off to be killed in a war without reason, without purpose, without WMD, you become so angry, so betrayed, so brave, that you dare to stand up, stand out, speak out, cry out. Shout. SHOUT! Praying all the while that your pain will break through the plague of public denial.

And then it occurred to me - believe this - it occurred to me for the first time: Tommi is a one and only, the only daughter I have or ever will birth. She is irreplaceable and her loss would be insatiable. And I don't know how I would go on, but (with thoughts turned to Beckett) I would go on ... maybe I would go on. Elaine feels that way, too, sometimes, and she writes, "I can do this. I can do this." And maybe that would be all there would be left for me to do if I lost my one-and-only daughter (here I trust my sweet daughter-in-law, Jennifer, to read wisely).

And then ... and maybe it's just the day, but I didn't see it coming, Elaine turns the conversation in remembrance of Cindy Sheehan, offering as she does a rebuttal to the awful things that are being said about Cindy, things impugning her regard and respect for her son, her integrity as a mother, her decency.


There are other mothers joining Cindy, people coming from all over the country right now, and whatever can be said, whatever will be said, know this: Casey Sheehan was a one-and-only, and because of the military action in Iraq, he will never be again! He will never have the opportunity to be what he could have been (Doctorow). When, as a nation of citizens, we are willing to say, "It is worth it," are we really stopping to measure the value of each and every, single one-and-only that is being spent in this war? not just the American one-and-onlys but all of them? Would we still say "It's worth it"?

If you can answer “yes” to that – and I’m supposing some of you will, then tell me: Would you be willing to tell me it was “worth it” if the one and only one you were talking about was my one-and-only? Would you be willing to tell me it was worth it to spend Tommi?


(Thanks to Winston for the link to the Doctorow letter)



technorati tags: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose it has always been that way with war, and probably always will be. But it was probably easier to accept loss of the "one and only" when we fought wars worth fighting, for reasons we understood, against an enemy we could identify. Tragic loss of those we love is never completely justified and accepted, regardless of the circumstances. The best we can hope for is to ultimately come to an inner peace that allows the loss.

I stand with Cindy Sheehan in her quest for answers and peace. And with you and your "one and only".

And this just in from CNN.com:
"...en route to a political fund-raiser near his ranch, passed Friday by the site of Cindy Sheehan's Iraq war protest..."

What would it have cost him to stop and talk to her for 5 or 10 minutes when all this started? If he did it now, it would be far too little, way too late. More political capital lost...GOOD!

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,
You need to read this one...
http://loosepoodle.blogspot.com/2005/08/mutha.html

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worth it? Never! The loss of one mother's child is never an acceptable cost. People often ask me how we should staff our military when I hop on my soapbox about race, class, gender, and the armed forces. Here's an idea. Give everyone equal access to jobs, education, and health care (at prices that everyone can afford) and then staff the military with people who are willing to serve and well informed and then stay out of economically based wars and situations that really ain't our business!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger me said...

Mary - I'm with you on this one. Each of my children is a unique "one and only" and the thought of ever losing them to war terrifies me. Nothing can ever replace your children. No amount of "sorry" can ease the pain, ever.

Bush owed Cindy some face time, but he's too much of a coward to look her in the eye. What if it was one of his daughters on the front line? How would he feel then?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home