Saturday, January 07, 2006

Tommi Is Home


Tommi is home! Tommi is home to stay. She's home for good. She's safe, she's whole, and she's home. It has been seven days now, and still either one of us might start to cry without notice, or laugh in disbelief, or drop into contemplation of the time that passed. What might have been two years was held to 18 months all told. She discharged her duty with honor. She left her base markedly more secure than when she arrived, and she's home now. She's home for good.

The story in brief includes a departure from Camp Taji around the 17th of December and a base-hop inside Iraq to gain position for flight to Kuwait. Though I knew she was "on the move," I learned only later that "the hop" was a noticeably dangerous part of the trip - risk unnecessarily engaged in an effort to get home sooner. Four days passed still inside Iraq, and then transport to Kuwait where the unit boarded for flight to the States. A fuel stop in Ireland scored a scarf "for mom," and Tommi touched down - feet on U.S. soil - on Monday morning, December 26, at the very time I landed in Washington D.C. as a first-time presenter at the MLA Convention - a showcase opportunity for my work in graduate studies at Purdue. All our efforts to plan around the conflicting commitments had failed. Tommi continued on to debriefing at Camp Atterbury in Indiana while I continued to work in D.C. She bused to her Minnesota command post in Montievideo the day before I flew into Minneapolis, rented a car, and drove 3 hours to find her - faced pressed to the window in anticipation and the last of those just returned to be greeted, taken up in the rest of love. We sunk into one another... fell into one another. She, more ready than I, was the first to catch her emotional footing, and then she helped me catch mine. I didn't care just then about Iraq, about Operation Freedom, about the "good job" she had done, or about the honor of her service. She was home, she was leaving that place with me, and that, just then, was all that mattered.

Our drive north together was five hours of conversation, no conversation, touch, exhales, and an impromptu "welcome home" party we enlisted from the willing patrons of a coffee shop along the way - a perfect New Year's Eve celebration. Those waiting at home were wrapping presents and preparing the meal for Christmas the next day. A very difficult and dangerous last month finally came to rest in the laughter of family, the stories we told that day, and the good food that made the day.

There are more stories to tell; coming home from a war has "a tail" in issues of health and heart, and remembering comes in pieces. Tommi came home with gifts, surprises, and the kind of "shrapnel" of the mind that every soldier home from war will confront. Supporting our troops is a long-term engagement. ...stories and more stories. In the meantime, Tommi is in Indiana to finish out the school year with me. My good landlord held the apartment across the hall form mine for Tommi, and she was wise enough to anticipate the expense in money set aside to cover the few months of breathing and taking "real baths." Lucky me to have a daughter so lovely so close so very much a friend. And... Tommi is home!

technorati tags: , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I am so very excited for you and Tommi and the rest of your family. This is the most blessed of all seasons and your family has the joy of basking in those blessings. Welcome home!

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say "YEAH!!!" ???? I'm an anxious to meet her!

-dr. b.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Brenda Clews said...

I cried all the way through this. I am so very, very happy for you and Tommi. *hugs xo

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger me said...

Oh my warmest congratulations to you both! I've been following with bated breath. I am so glad she is finally home safe and sounds with you. Bless you all.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So long.
So very long.
We've waited.
With you.
So wonderful.
So very wonderful.
She is safe.
She is home.
So happy.
So very happy.
For you.
For both of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home