Thursday, June 23, 2005

Randy Said: Words That Bear Repeating

A few weeks ago Viet Nam veterans greeted Tommi and others deplaning in Dallas as soldiers on furlough or returning from service in Iraq. It was an emotionally overwhelming time for Tommi as well as for the veterans there working to insure that another generation of soldiers would not be “forgotten” for the sacrifice they are making in the name of country, integrity, and honor.

A few days ago a close friend and veteran of the Viet Nam war, left these moving comments for Tommi at Sentinel 47: Keeping the Gate. The words bear reposting here. Thanks, Randy, for the outpouring of heart and the faithfulness with which you care. Thanks especially for recognizing the difficulty of war that lives after a soldier returns.

Randy said:

Tommi,

It was good to see you back from the green world. Thank you for blessing us with a visit. Having been in that world I know how to pray for you and do. Saying I know how to pray for you I admit that I only know in part how to pray because there were no females at my base and I am not a female. I can understand and see where you have extra stress and baggage to carry and strongly feel the job carries enough burden and challenge without adding all the facets and issues that come with human identity and sexuality. Word that you were going to Iraq was such a trip. You are the same age as my boys and I had a good idea about the conditions into which you were going. More Prayers, need to keep you in prayer. More than just the safety in the here and now, Prayer for the rest of your life as you carry this baggage. Prayer for the bitters as it will taint your whole view of the world and life. Prayer that you don't grow to cynical because it takes the joy out of life and it's possibilities. Prayer for your heart with the loss of innocence to that side of life. Prayer for your being as you seek reason in all this. Prayer that you not seek reason in economics, politic ideology or philosophy. Prayer that you find refuge in Proverbs 3:5&6, Rom 8:28 and the whole book of Philippians just to name a few. My heart is heavy that you are even there but I am proud of you for being there and answering the call to duty. I respect the path you chose to walk and the integrity to walk it with strength and dignity. Words cannot explain but I understand. Walk with God keeping your eyes on Him and not the hell you find your self in. Remember it is only the valley of the shadow of death that you walk through, his rod and staff are with you.

20/6/05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home